Closed For Now!
This post goes over how I do my reviews, what I’ll review, and anything else you may need to know if you’d like me to talk about something on my blog. Please read through this in full before making a request. It will let you know if we are the right fit or not!
My Personal Policy on Reviews
- I always give my honest opinions on any piece of media I decide to share my thoughts on. I will always share issues I had and things I enjoyed in a critical manner, and I aim to be as balanced as I can, to allow my readers to make informed decisions.
- I will not review media from anybody I cannot guarantee impartiality, most notably friends and family. Though I am happy to feature their work in other ways.
- I am not paid to do this, this is a hobby for me. That said, I do use affiliate links and have links to my Amazon wishlist and my Ko-Fi account. These links are not hidden or attempting to coerce anybody, and I cannot be paid off to put forth a positive review of something.
- I cannot guarantee a review for everything that comes my way. I do my best but a lot of time goes into reading/watching/listening to/playing a piece of media and writing a review.
- I withhold the right to stop reading/watching/listening to/playing a piece of media if I discover it’s not my cup of tea, or to share short-form thoughts in a manner alternative to a regular review if I don’t have too much to say about it. These will most likely be within my weekly update posts.
- I cannot work to a timeline due to my personal situation, however, if you’d like a review by a certain time please mention it upfront so that I can let you know if I’m unable to do it, or make sure to prioritise it as I’m able.
What I’ll Review
I’m primarily a speculative fiction reader in the UK and will consider interesting titles in the following genres: Fantasy, Horror, Science Fiction, Urban Fantasy, Historical Fiction (pre-1600s preferred), Magical Realism, Romantic Comedy, Non-Fiction (folklore, history, mythology, paganism/witchcraft, memoir/biography). I also occasionally enjoy literary/contemporary fiction.
My favourite genres are Epic Fantasy, Sword and Sorcery, Contemporary Fantasy, Science Fiction and Horror, I love other worlds, strong characters, creepiness, and magic. I’m very interested in books from female and non-binary authors, black, Asian and minority ethnicity authors, authors within the LGBTQIA+ community, and stories that feature diversity. And bonus points for dragons and/or whimsy! I’m also a sucker for magic schools, witches, vampires, haunted places, and cosy vibes.
While I do primarily prefer adult fiction, I will consider books intended for middle-grade (9+) or young adult audiences. I really don’t care overly much so long as the story is interesting and it’s written well.
I can do physical books (in the UK), Kindle ebooks (.mobi format), audiobooks. I’m good for novels, novellas, graphic novels, and anthologies.
Please include the blurb and a short excerpt (if there is a snippet available on Amazon, that will do fine) so that I can get a feel for the kind of book you want me to review, especially for indie press and self-published books. If you’d like me to review a book that is a part of a series, I would appreciate if you could please send the previous books in the series as I won’t read out of order. All books must be available in English.
I’ve been an MMORPG player for years, these days I often prefer simulation games, narrative games (adventure, visual novel, point and click), RPGs. I love indie games that have clearly been made with love and anything with a unique setting. As for settings, I love fantasy, sci-fi, historical, horror, urban fantasy, mythology.
I am not interested in platformers, metroidvania, battle royale, or survival games.
- I’m an avid cross stitcher
- I love colouring books
- I’m a tarot and oracle reader.
- I am a dungeon master for two Dungeons & Dragons 5e games and sometimes a player.
If you would like to reach out to me for anything in these areas, I’m open to it.
- Overt Sexual Content or Erotica – Fade to black and some mild stuff is fine so long as it fits into the story, otherwise, it’s just going to make me uncomfortable as an asexual person which is not ok.
- Christian fiction or non-fiction – It’s not my thing.
- Contemporary Military fiction – In contemporary/horror/urban fantasy books, themes of war and military make me uncomfortable. I don’t mind sci-fi and fantasy with this theme quite so much, but there needs to be a separation from reality.
And please ensure you include serious content warnings, especially for depression, self-harm, and suicide.
I would love to feature guest content, giveaways, interviews, blog tours, and the like on Dragons and Whimsy. However, I must be able to ensure that whatever is being promoted is something that I approve of and something that I feel I would enjoy and want to share with my readers.
As for paid content… as above, it must be something that I like and approve of. I will not do paid reviews. Anything of this nature must be in compliance with FTC guidelines.
To make a request you can email me at email@example.com or use this contact form.